Castlecuffe N.S.


Go to content

Places of Interest

Past Projects On Our Locality

Places of Interest
Castlecuffe is situated in Clonaslee Parish. The patron of the parish is Saint Manman, a hermit who is supposed to have lived in Corrigeen. There is an old church just outside Clonaslee called Kilmanman
These are some of the Place names we learned
Clonaslee: Meadow or flat ground by the way or by the road
Kilmanman: Church of St. Manman.
Corrigeen: The Hermitage of the Rocks.
Coolagh: Cúl na gCnoc, Behind the Hill.
Brogula: Brobhloch: The Lake of the Rushes.
Castlecuffe: Caisleán Mhic Dhuibh.
Ballykaneen: Baile na gCoinín: Town of the Rabbits.
Clonlyon: Meadow of the Linen.
Barrowdoo: Black Height.
Brittas: Norman-French word 'Bratasche' meaning early wooden castle.


Killinaparson House


Error File Open Error

The last people to live in the house were the Colgans. They lived there until 1951. The Jackson’s previously owned it. Killinaparson was once one of the biggest estates in Leinster. Now most of the land is covered in forestry. There was once a half an acre of an orchard attached to the house.



The mill in the picture was driven by horses (sometimes one, other times three) to grind corn. It could be one hundred years old or more. It was last used in the late forties.


Error File Open Error



This is a limekiln. It is on my Father’s land near Cadamstown. There is a date on the front of the limekiln 1932. The limekiln was used to burn limestone to get lime to put on the land. It is 68 years old as the date shows. The likeliness was built of dry stone. It is a circular shape on the top. It is about seven feet deep in depth by five feet in width. The front of the limekiln is shaped similar to a fireplace.


Error File Open Error

The fairy bush is in the middle of a six-acre field. It has been said that the fairies dance around this tree. Also some people believe that at a certain time each year all the animals on the farm will gather around the fairy bush no matter what part of the farm they were in. It is said to be there for hundreds of years.

The Giants Grave

The Giants Grave is situated
in the townsland of Kilnaparson in the parish of Kilmanman Clonaslee Co Laois
(According to Canon Cassigans history)
There was a battle fought there about 3,ooo B C Blaidh the warrior chief was killed and a cairn of stones was raised to his memory and so the mountains became known as Sliabh Bladhma, Blaidh’s mountain . There are five large stones each weighing twenty tons . At one time a large bronze age burial moundstood on the site. In the late 18 century a local man called Purcell found a solid gold spur in the giants grave. After this find there was soon nothing much left of the orignal burial mound.
A family of Daly’s once lived near the burial mound. They were known as Daly’s of the Giant’s Grave. During the rebellion of 1798 John Daly went to Wexford and fought in the rebellion. When he came back he was arrested and flogged in Kinnity. He later died from his wounds. The yoemen burned Daly’s house and pulled the stone from the grave.


There are many mountain walks which pass the Giants Grave.The great Sli Dala, the old road from Tara to Cashel,once passed by the Giants Grave and you can still see the outline of this ancient roadway as it passes our house (the Rigney’s) into the townsland of Maugherabawn. It is again visible near Litir Luna graveyard one mile south of the village of Cadamstown. Tourists from all over the world come to visit this ancient burial mound. I met people from Cork, Laois, Austraia, Londan and NewYork. We went to see the Giant’s grave and the Croppy graves and the people were very happy.
By James Rigney.


Corrigeen


Error File Open Error

Home Page | About Us | Information for Parents | Our Class News | Green School News | Past Projects On Our Locality | Archive 1 | Archive 2 | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu