Castlecuffe N.S.


Go to content

School History

About Us

Castlecuffe N.S. Timeline

1822 1855 1953 1992 1999 2001 2004 2005 2006 2008
Coolagh
Hedgeschool
begins with
Mr. Dowling
as teacher
School first
built on
Castlecuffe
site
New school
constructed on
site of previous
school
First
past-pupil
re-union
We got a shared
learning support
teacher
We became a
3-teacher
school and
prefab was
erected
2nd
past-pupil
re-union in
July. in
November
we relocated
to old boys'
school in
Clonaslee
until
following
June
We moved
into
extended
school
Mr. O'
Sullivan
retired.
Mrs
Butterfield
became
principal
and Ms.
Digan was
appointed
Castlecuffe
won our first
green flag. It
was for litter
and waste
management.
Eanna Ni
Lamhna
raised it for
us with the
help of the
oldest and
youngest
pupils, both
named Brian.

As you can see on the timeline our school was extended in 2004/2005. The picture on the left of the banner is the school before the extension and the picture on the right of the banner is the extended school.

A school was built in Castlecuffe on the present site in 1855 and officially opened in 1856.It measured 36 feet long and 18 feet wide and was 12 feet high. It had one room only.

Our school was built on 15 May 1953 by Foynes Brothers, Contractors. It wasn’t completed on time, so there were longer holidays, to the delight of the children.

There was no more building done until 2004/2005 when the school was extended. Everything in the school was moved to the boys' school in Clonaslee in November 2004 until we moved back to the extended school in September 2005

The extended school was officially opened in July 2006 by Minister Brian Cowen and was blessed by Bishop Jim Moriarty. The whole community were invited to join with us in celebrating this historic occasion!

Look through the evidence on our slideshow!

Our last principal, Mrs Butterfield retired last September. We got her presents. We presented her with a tree to plant on our school grounds on sports day last year. We also compiled a book for her with memories from her many years in the school. She was also presented with some bog oak. Mass was held in the school in her honour, and everyone was involved. Everyone sang at the mass. At the mass, the pupils were at the right and the parents and past pupils were on the left. It was a sad and emotional day for most of us. She was a teacher for about 40 years and was a great teacher. We missed her for a while. But, we got a new teacher. Her name is Miss Bryant. She is only 21. She won't retire that early. It was a very sad day, but Mrs Butterfield still calls in to us to help out.

By
James

The entire school community was deeply saddened to hear of the death of our former principal, Sean O'Sullivan, affectionately known to us as 'Sir', who retired in August 2006. Sean was laid to rest near his native town, Clonakilty, in May 2012. He had been principal here for 37 years and we were all sad to see him leave but looked forward to his return visits. In June 2006, we had Mass in school and a presentation to mark Sir's retirement. Sean and his wife Ann are pictured in this photograph with the school staff. Our sincere sympathies are extended to all his family. Ar dheis Dé go raibh sé.


Home Page | About Us | Information for Parents | Our Class News | Green School News | Past Projects On Our Locality | Archive 1 | Archive 2 | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu